Memberships / Associations / Volunteer Work
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Volunteer lawyer, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS)
Education / Qualifications
- 2016 - Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- 2015 - LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
Jonathan joined Characterist LLC at the beginning of 2016 as a Practice Trainee and has been practising with Characterist LLC since being called to the bar in the same year. His primary areas of practice are in the areas of Insurance and Personal Injury, Litigation and Dispute Resolution and Criminal Litigation and Advocacy.
During Jonathan’s time in the National University of Singapore, he was awarded the Best Memorial Prize in the 2012 Mallal Moots and was named in the Overall Dean’s List for the Class of 2015.
Jonathan has advised and acted for clients in a wide variety of civil matters, including personal injury and property damage involving motor and industrial accidents, contractual disputes, tenancy disputes, breach of directors’ duties, employment law etc. He also enjoys doing criminal litigation work, and has advised and acted for clients facing various criminal charges. Jonathan has successfully conducted several trials, contested interlocutory hearings, plead guilty mentions and mediations on his own whether in the High Court or State Courts, and has assisted with High Court trials and Singapore Mediation Centre mediation.
Jonathan has at times also had the opportunity to deal with clients in relation to their corporate and commercial concerns, including reviewing various agreements and preparing board and shareholders’ resolutions.
Outside of practice, Jonathan can often be found spending time with family and friends, and mentoring youths in church with a passion to see the next generation surpass his own. He also enjoys playing (and watching) a range of sports, including soccer and squash.
Significant Matters & Transactions
- Advising and acting for insurers and individuals in a wide range of insurance claims including but not limited to property damage and personal injury claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, industrial accidents, fires, fallen trees, as well as matters involving motor insurance fraud and disputes on insurance contracts
- Advising and acting for various landlords and tenants in contractual and other disputes
- Advising and acting for various stakeholders in disputes between contractor and client or main-contractor and sub-contractor
- Advising and acting for various employers and employees in disputes relating to non-competition and/or confidentiality clauses
- Advising and acting for various creditors, judgment creditors and garnishees in the recovery of debts
- Advising and acting for various clients in respect of criminal charges including driving-related offences, cheating offences, offences against the person and drug-related offences
- Advising and acting for a music producer in relation to a dispute concerning a music production agreement
- Advising and acting for a company in defending and resisting allegations of trademark infringement
- Advising and acting for a company in enforcing their copyright
- Advising and acting for a co-owner of immoveable property in obtaining severance of his joint tenancy and Court-ordered sale in lieu of partition
- Advising and acting for auditors in defending and resisting allegations of professional negligence
- Advising and acting for several individuals in resisting allegations of defamation
- Assisted in advising and acting for insurers in defending a half-a-million-dollar personal injury claim, leading up to a High Court Assessment of Damages hearing
- Assisted in a District Court Appeal involving a commissions sharing arrangement between financial advisors
- Assisted in advising and acting for a church and its subsidiaries in entering into a settlement agreement for the sale of its property
- Assisted in advising and acting for a company against its former director for alleged breaches of fiduciary duties
- Assisted in advising and acting for a car owner against a fraudulent purchaser
- Assisted in advising a church in relation to regulatory issues concerning changing the name of its building
- Assisted in advising a church in relation to regulatory and compliance issues concerning the purchase of an interest in foreign immoveable property for the furtherance of its objects
- Drafting Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney and Powers of Attorney for clients and advising them as to the same
My experience with Characterist for my personal injury claim has been really satisfying ... Right from my first consultation, Daniel was able to capture all necessary details and gave a very comprehensive understanding ... One thing that I believe that is the most important thing about working with a law firm is being a trusted advisor, and Daniel has done that really well by showing full responsibility through actions and follow up ... He was able to close the case with a very successful settlement beyond my expectations. I am very thankful for Daniel and Jonathan for working hard on this case and facilitating a successful outcome, and I would like to recommend Characterist to anyone who needs to go through personal injury claims.
- WICA or stronger – Choosing between the Work Injury Compensation regime and Common Law
- Working MOM – Calibrating the broadening scope of the Work Injury Compensation Regime
- Characterist in the news: Bus captain sentenced for accident that caused pedestrian’s death (The Straits Times, 10 Oct 2018)
- Characterist in the news: Former SMRT branch manager sentenced for cheating (The Straits Times, 21 Sep 2018)