Memberships / Associations / Volunteer Work
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Volunteer lawyer, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS)
Education / Qualifications
- 2016 - Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- 2015 - LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
Rachel graduated with an LLB (Hons) degree from the National University of Singapore in 2015. She was called to the Singapore Bar in 2016 and commenced her legal practice at Characterist LLC thereafter.
Rachel’s primary areas of practice are in Criminal Litigation and Civil and Commercial Dispute Resolution. She also assists clients in general corporate drafting and advisory matters, as well as private client matters. Rachel has appeared before all levels of the Singapore Courts as litigation counsel, and has acted as counsel in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
Throughout her years in practice, Rachel has had the privilege of directly assisting and working closely with the Head of the firm’s Criminal Litigation Practice, Mr Adrian Wee, from whom she has received mentorship across all areas of her practice. She was, as an Associate and Senior Associate, given the opportunity to conduct hearings personally and participate actively in criminal advocacy. As an Associate Director, she now takes the lead on the matters within her personal portfolio, while continuing to work with other members of the firm.
As part of her Criminal Litigation portfolio, Rachel has acted in matters involving regulatory offences, cheating and corruption offences, public order offences such as rioting, sexual offences, and various other offences to the person.
Rachel regularly acts for clients in a wide range of Civil and Commercial disputes, including landlord-tenancy disputes, employment disputes, insolvency and debt recovery, as well as general contractual disputes.
Rachel’s clients include individuals, small and medium enterprises, international corporations, and statutory boards.
Outside of practice, Rachel enjoys spending time with her dog and going on hikes. In this time of ever-changing travel paradigms, she has redirected her love for discovering new places to the exploration of local neighbourhoods.
Significant Matters & Transactions
Civil and Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Acted for a local company in the supply and distribution industry in its claim regarding breaches of a settlement agreement. Successfully obtained summary judgment in the High Court, which was upheld on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in a High Court claim by a commercial lending company against a borrowing company and its guarantors.
- Obtained an order in the High Court requiring an investment broker to produce an account of all monies received and subsequently invested on behalf of two individuals.
- Acted for a local company in the business of wholesale of tobacco products in its claim for infringement of trademark. Successfully obtained an interim injunction before the High Court.
- Acted for a foreign company defending a claim in the High Court for minority oppression under the Companies Act. The matter was settled at mediation.
- Acted for three individuals and a local company defending a claim in the High Court relating to use of confidential information, conspiracy to injure, and other breaches of contract. The matter was settled as regards the said individuals and company.
- Acted in various landlord-tenancy disputes on behalf of various landlords and tenants, ranging from individuals to a statutory board.
- Acted for individual and corporate creditors in insolvency matters, involving both bankruptcy and voluntary arrangements. Acted for debtors in insolvency matters, including proposals for voluntary arrangements.
- Acted in defamation matters involving comments posted on social media.
- Acted for both employers and employees in various employment disputes, including claims relating to unpaid salary, restraint of trade, and breach of confidentiality.
- Acted in protection from harassment matters.
- Lead counsel in a trial concerning charges under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act and the Penal Code, concerning the making of a false declaration to the Ministry of Manpower and the obstruction of the course of justice.
- Obtained an acquittal as assistant counsel for an accused person facing an amalgamated cheating charge under the Penal Code involving conspiracy and dishonestly inducing the delivery of property.
- Obtained an acquittal as assistant counsel for an accused person facing charges under the Children and Young Persons Act involving the carrying out of indecent acts. The appeal by the Public Prosecutor was withdrawn.
- Assistant counsel in a trial concerning charges under the Companies Act for the carrying on of a business for a fraudulent purpose. The accused person also faced charges under the Employment Agencies Act and the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.
- Assistant counsel for Chew Eng Han, who claimed trial for a charge under the Immigration Act for attempting to leave Singapore and a charge under the Penal Code for attempting to intentionally defeat the course of justice.
- Acted for Goh Hin Calm, who faced charges under the Securities and Futures Act and the Penal Code in relation to the 2013 penny stock crash.
- Acted for a former asset manager facing cheating charges under the Penal Code.
- Acted for a director of a local engineering company facing charges under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.
- Obtained a discharge amounting to acquittal for a leading local geotechnical engineering company facing charges under the Electricity Act.
- Acted for a client in criminal charges faced by the client for comments posted on social media.
- Acted for various individuals facing cheating charges under the Penal Code for the use of stolen credit cards.
- Acted for various individuals facing charges under the Misuse of Drugs Act for consumption, possession, and possession of apparatus.
- Acted for various individuals facing charges under the Penal Code for various sexual offences, including upskirt offences and use of criminal force with intent to outrage modesty.
- Acted for various young individuals facing charges under the Penal Code for rioting and unlawful assembly.
General Drafting and Advisory
- Drafted shareholders’ agreements, share transfer agreements, company management agreements, and other contracts relating to company operations.
- Drafted and/or advised clients on improvements to tenancy agreements.
- Drafted contracts relating to supply of goods.
- Advised a statutory board on potential liability for the inappropriate acts of its employee during an event.
- Advised one of Singapore’s largest power generation companies on the applicable rules for the holding of lucky draws for its customers.
- Advised an online education and tutoring company in relation to copyright infringement in the usage and creation of educational and teaching materials.
- Advised a foreign distribution and marketing company on its intended claims for relief against a supplier.
Thanks for the strong service attitude, detailed legal advice and great efforts that your company has provided for the past few months. Last but not least, we wish to express our heartfelt thanks to Adrian and you and not forgetting your company staff.
Client who faced two criminal charges, both of which were withdrawn
- Characterist in the news: Couple jailed for sending domestic helper home when faced with police investigations (17 December 2021)
- Characterist in the news: SAF training accident – CMP v 3SG (NS) Hubert Wah (19 November 2019)
- Landlord Woes – What to do when a tenant does not pay rent
- Characterist in the news: Sentencing verdict of Chew Eng Han (29 January 2019)
- Characterist in the news: Trial verdict of Chew Eng Han (12 Dec 2018)
- Bad judgment or bad faith? A cautionary tale for Nominees
- Characterist in the news: Trial of Chew Eng Han (24 Sep 2018)