Memberships / Associations / Volunteer Work
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Education / Qualifications
- 2012 – LLB (Hons), University of Nottingham
- 2014 – Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Johnston’s primary areas of practice are in the areas of Insurance and Personal Injury, Family and Matrimonial Law, and Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
Johnston has advised on and acted for clients in a wide range of civil matters including property damage and personal injury claims arising from industrial and motor vehicle accidents, motor insurance fraud, estate disputes, contractual disputes, landlord-tenancy disputes, defamation, etc. He has also been involved in civil litigation trials at various levels of the Singapore Courts and has also successfully conducted his own trials, assessment of damages hearings and contested interlocutory applications. He has also advised and acted for clients on matrimonial law (including divorce, applications to vary Ancillary Orders, cross-border child abduction issues), as well as criminal law.
Outside of work, Johnston is an avid sportsman who enjoys almost any type of sport. His favourites are soccer, floorball and cricket. He is also passionate about working with youths and mentors a group of youths in his church.
Significant Matters & Transactions
- Advised and acted for insurers and individuals in a wide range of insurance claims but not limited to property damage and personal injury claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, industrial accidents, fires, fallen trees, as well as matters involving motor insurance fraud and disputes on insurance contracts
- Advised and acted for various individuals on matrimonial law including divorce, applications to vary Ancillary Orders, and cross-border child abduction issues
- Stephanie Tang Swan Leen and ors v Tan Su San (the personal representative of the deceased Tan Seng Huat)  SGDC 218 (District Court): Acted as second chair for the Plaintiffs and successfully established liability against the Defendant driver who suffered a stroke before colliding into the Plaintiffs. The Court adopted a 2015 English Court of Appeal’s objective test requiring “total loss of control”. This is the first Singapore decision on the applicable legal standard to establish a defence of automatism under tort law.
- Advising and acting for a multi-national company in a US$26 million claim in relation to a shipbuilding contract dispute involving Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”) proceedings
- Acted as Lead Counsel for insurers in successfully dismissing a Plaintiff’s claim for work injury compensation
- Successfully represented an individual who was discharged amounting to an acquittal after being charged for engaging in a conspiracy to deal in custom unpaid cigarettes despite being a confidential informant
- Advised and acted for insurers in defending a half-a-million-dollar personal injury claim, assisted Lead Counsel as Second Chair in the High Court Assessment of Damages hearing
- Assisted in successfully representing a company in a building defects claim against contractor
- Assisted in advising and acting for a quadriplegic victim in a seven figure personal injury claim
- Assisted in successfully representing a client in a High Court professional negligence suit against a solicitor that established novel points of law on a solicitor’s duty to his client
- Drafting Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney and Powers of Attorney for clients and advising them as to the same
- Stephanie Tang Swan Leen and ors v Tan Su San(the personal representative of the deceased Tan Seng Huat)  SGDC 218 (District Court)
- Zailani bin Hussien v Sherlin Pravin Giri d/o Siriniwas and Ors (HC/S 450/2015) (High Court Registry)
Presentations / Seminars
- In-house seminars to insurance executives and financial planners from various
companies on estate planning, “common myths about law” etc.
- Presentation / seminar on estate planning for senior citizens at Touch Senior Activities Centre
I could not be more satisfied with Characterist LLC. The staff are professional and their work are very thorough. They listened to my concerns with undivided attention. They advised, advocated and kept me well informed throughout the proceedings. Their confidence and experience put me at ease throughout the whole process. I rate them 10/10.
I was in a financial difficulty before I met with an unfortunate accident which gave me more trouble managing my recovery and claims. Daniel had gone out of the way to help me get through my accident claim by providing assistance along the course of it. Johnston had been very professional and helpful along the way answering my queries patiently and breaking down things i did not understand into layman terms. Both of them have been modest and never ever over promised me and always surprised me with the results. Overall I have been very satisfied all the way from the start to the end of the case. I would highly recommend Characterist LLC for any legal matters.
Seth Ong Zi Yang
Johnston Lee and his team are a great bunch of people who handle legal matters professionally and also put personal attention to them. I have a great experience with the team in Characterist handling the sensitive issues on a timely manner to prevent more angst for me over the complicated legal matters. The value of their services is indeed from their true character.
Mr Johnston Lee is a very patient, humble and well-mannered lawyer. Though sometimes I forward him with long emails, he is patient to read through the emails and reply me accordingly. One of the most prominent thing I would like to compliment him is though I have provided him with much information for my divorce matter, he came up with neutral facts to justify the grounds of divorce (though initially I have the intention to ask him to mention the prominent incidents) thus showing his expertise in handling the case. I will definitely recommend this law firm and Mr Johnston Lee to my friends for legal advice. Keep up the good work, Mr Johnston Lee!
Hannah Jessline Woon
Thank you very much for the service and advice you had provided to us. The clarity and care you took to explain the procedures and avenues of recourse available to us enabled our mitigation to achieve its intended conclusion. Our utmost appreciation to Gisele as well for her assistance on the administrative matters; the information was clear and prompt. We wish to express our deepest gratitude for your understanding of our financial situation and enabling us to settle the fees gradually. We would also like to apologise if there had been any shortcomings on our part. Many thanks once again and we would certainly engage Characterist if we require legal services in future.
Afiq Syazani and Akif Syamil
Thank you for all your help. I am pleased with the results of the case. Especially Johnston, as you went above and beyond to every query I made and ensuring it meets my expectation on the outcome. I can fully trust you with your professionalism and expertise which make me feel at ease and rest assured. I will definitely recommend Johnston and Daniel from Characterist LLC to anyone who require any legal support.
Once again thank you Johnston and Daniel for all your time and effort during this journey.