Memberships / Associations / Volunteer Work
- Board Director, Touch Community Services
- Council member, Faith Community Baptist Church
- Pro-bono Legal Work, Touch Legal Care (previously)
Education / Qualifications
- 1993 - Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- 1992 - LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
Daniel heads the Firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group and the Insurance and Personal Injury Practice Group. Daniel’s vast litigation experience of almost two decades consists of a diverse spectrum of subjects including insurance, medical negligence, personal injury, matrimonial, criminal, probate, shipping and construction disputes.
Daniel’s considerable legal expertise is much sought after by his clients, which include major insurance companies, banks, financial institutions, charitable organizations, businesses, SMEs and individuals.
Outside of law, Daniel actively serves as council member of Faith Community Baptist Church. He has been a board member of Touch Community Services since May 2015, and has been an active volunteer in this organisation for some years. He is married with two children and enjoys soccer in his free time.
Significant Matters & Transactions
- Represented a local company that had an Anton Piller Order and a Mareva Injunction filed against it.
- Defending a defamation action in the High Court against a committee member of a well-known club.
- Successfully obtained leave to proceed with Judicial Review proceedings with respect to a decision from the Minister / Ministry of Manpower.
- Persuaded the Court to impose a monetary fine for an army defaulter.
- Acted for the father of the victim in a near-drowning case against the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) in a High Court Suit for damages arising from the alleged breach of duty on the part of the SSC and their lifeguards.
- Successfully obtained judgment fully in favour of a lawyer client in relation to her major accident case against an insurer.
- Defended a pending High Court action, wherein although the Plaintiff stated the claim to be in excess of $800,000.00, managed to obtain an immediate concession for the purposes of the Court hearing that the matter is at most at $500,000.00 and below.
- A wide range of insurance claims including but not limited to property damage and personal injury claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, fire, fallen trees etc.
- Various industrial claims involving injury to foreign workers.
- Numerous High Court trials on liability and assessment of damages hearings.
- Numerous industrial claims in the Labour Court, including appeals to the High Court.
- Successfully defended a dependency claim on appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Zailani bin Hussien v Sherlin Pravin Giri d/o Siriniwas and Ors (HC/S 450/2015) (High Court Registry)
- Moi Sok Ling v Aw Ah Sing (HC/S 100/2015) (High Court)
- Public Prosecutor v Chow Chian Yow, Brian Joseph  SGDC 97 (District Court)
- Lawrence Khong Kin Hoong v Singapore Polo Club  SGHC 82 (High Court)
- Faith Community Baptist Church v Attorney-General (CA88/2014, SUM3016/2014) (High Court)
- Boey Chun Hian (by his guardian and next friend, Boey Ghim Huat) v Singapore Sports Council (Neo Meng Yong, third party)  SGHCR 15 (High Court Registry)
- Liu Haixiang v China Construction (South Pacific) Development Co Pte Ltd  SGHC 21 (High Court)
- Zhu You Gang v China Construction (South Pacific) Development Co Pte Ltd trading as China Construction – Kay Lim JV & Kay Lim Construction & Trading Pte Ltd trading as China Construction – Kay Lim JV  SGDC 33 (District Court)
- Thenmoli d/o Periasamy v Liew Yee Cheong  SGHC 116 (High Court)
- Fortune Hong Kong Trading Ltd v Cosco-Feoso (Singapore) Pte Ltd  1 SLR 633 (Court of Appeal)
- Chetan Maganlal Patel v The owners of the Ship or Vessel “New Pacific Opal”  SGHC 62 (High Court)
- Kenwell & Co Pte Ltd v Southern Ocean Shipbuilding Co Pte Ltd  SGHC 421 (High Court)
Presentations / Seminars / Teaching
- “Legal Issues Related to Workplace Safety in the Construction Industry – A Lawyer’s Perspective” (International Conference on Workplace Safety & Health for the Construction Industry, delivered at BCA Academy, 4 & 5 June 2012)
- In-house seminars to insurance executives, surveyors, adjusters, private investigators etc.
- Seminars on Wills and Estate Planning to Touch Community Services
- Seminars on Wills and Estate Planning to insurance agents and companies
- Advising agencies of insurance agents on steps to be taken when moving from one insurer to another.
- Lectured at Singapore Insurance Institute in 1994/1995
I could not be more satisfied with Characterist LLC. The staff are professional and their work are very thorough. They listened to my concerns with undivided attention. They advised, advocated and kept me well informed throughout the proceedings. Their confidence and experience put me at ease throughout the whole process. I rate them 10/10.
I was in a financial difficulty before I met with an unfortunate accident which gave me more trouble managing my recovery and claims. Daniel had gone out of the way to help me get through my accident claim by providing assistance along the course of it. Johnston had been very professional and helpful along the way answering my queries patiently and breaking down things i did not understand into layman terms. Both of them have been modest and never ever over promised me and always surprised me with the results. Overall I have been very satisfied all the way from the start to the end of the case. I would highly recommend Characterist LLC for any legal matters.
Seth Ong Zi Yang
Hannah Jessline Woon
Thank you for all your help. I am pleased with the results of the case. Especially Johnston, as you went above and beyond to every query I made and ensuring it meets my expectation on the outcome. I can fully trust you with your professionalism and expertise which make me feel at ease and rest assured. I will definitely recommend Johnston and Daniel from Characterist LLC to anyone who require any legal support.
Once again thank you Johnston and Daniel for all your time and effort during this journey.
Daniel Goh from Characterist LLC has really been a great help. The advice and guidance he gave was truly outstanding and beyond my expectations. He seeks to understand the situation and address the emotional time that I was going through. He has been extremely kind and patient in every step of the journey. I would highly recommend him. Thank you for the excellent service.
Characterist LLC- Just different. I wish to express my heartfelt appreciation for the excellent service rendered to me. During the legal proceedings, Daniel was invaluable in helping me through a difficult time. I am extremely pleased with the level of professionalism and expertise he had brought forth to me- His cogent analysis, his artful flair for argument, his approach and position and, most significantly, his unflappable demeanour are key elements of a competent attorney. While lawsuits can be very uncomfortable and stressful throughout the process, Daniel made me feel at ease and kept me informed about the case every step of the way. With a heart of compassion, he was responsive no matter how trivial my questions were and was quick to take appropriate actions while providing me with wise counsel and good guidance. I would wholeheartedly recommend Daniel and Characterist LLC to anyone in need of legal prowess.
Daniel and his team at Characterist LLC are what I'd describe as stellar. They are responsive, reasonable and reliable. I feel they have a similar work culture with my practice and beliefs - that is to care and help our patients (clients) as our family and friends. Time and again, I have referred some frustrated patients who had sub-par legal service and advice from their lawyers to Daniel and they always come back happy yet relieved. I trust in Characterist LLC. They deliver.
Dr. Chua Soo Yong, Atlas Orthopaedic Group
In our business, compliance, regulations and trust are paramount. With Characterist LLC, we have found a perfect partner to strengthen our fundamental values. Our experience with the professional team at Characterist LLC is more than a Client-Vendor relationship. The team, especially Daniel Goh, Adrian Wee, Bernard Tan and Dominic Chan, have been excellent. We always feel extremely comfortable to approach them in any situation without hesitation. They will assess every situation painstakingly, over and above their professional capacity. Our problem is their problem! We used to think of legal matters as a costly expense. But with Characterist LLC, their undivided attention, dedication and professionalism put you at complete ease. Probably the most assured feeling I get as CEO of my firm is that whenever we face a difficult situation, my staff's response instead of being stressed out is the quiet confidence - "we will speak to Characterist". I am confident that Characterist LLC will continue to be our legal advisers and valued partner for a long time!
Tay Huai Eng, CEO of IPP Financial Advisers Pte Ltd
I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to you and your team for all the efforts on this case which took close to 2 years and ensuring that I get the best outcome out of this. Thanks once again for your legal advice, time, and hard work. I would not hesitate to recommend your firm to anyone in need of a lawyer/legal advice.
I am writing in to express my heartfelt thanks to Daniel Goh and team for handling my unfortunate accident case which took place this year. Thanks Daniel for the great efficient service rendered and the smooth delivery for the case. I was very happy to know case was managed well and with much amazing speed to close in a month plus since we met.
I would highly recommend Daniel and Noel, who are both very responsive and effective. As a fellow lawyer, I was impressed by their level of professionalism, especially Noel who conducted my hearing with passion and utmost integrity.
Partner at an International Law Firm
Daniel, I'm so grateful for your passion, dedication and professionalism. I've been directed to different law firms with different lawyers before, but you are truly the best lawyer that I've ever worked with. I wanted to thank you for the excellent work you did as my attorney. I know you have a lot of clients, so your prompt responses and attention to detail really meant a lot to me, my heartfelt gratitude to you for working tirelessly to ensure that the law worked in our favor. If it weren't for your up to tier professional skills and knowledge, the matter wouldn't have been settled by now. Thanks once again for your legal advice, time and effort.
Chong Shu Ting
Really appreciate your great help and precious time in view of your tight schedule. I believe most participants including myself had picked up a few learning points from your presentation.
Kenneth Leong, Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (Singapore) EXCO – Events
I have had some bad experiences with a legal professional before Daniel was recommended to me by another professional that I work closely with. Not only is Daniel efficient, helpful, responsive and competent, amongst other things, I have to say that he has restored my faith in the legal profession, taking into account my previous experiences. I initially went to him for a civil litigation matter. He did well, gave me confidence, gained my trust and I have since gone to him for all other corporate legal matters for my company. It does not stop here, in fact, I have also referred friends / contacts to his firm for legal matters. As I can trust Daniel, I believe I can also trust the rest of his colleagues whom he has introduced, they have also proven to be equally competent. I now see Daniel not just as my lawyer but as a friend, someone I can turn to for help in times of need. I will strongly recommend him to whoever needs legal help.
I would like to congratulate and thank Mr Daniel Goh and his team for a wonderful job done in [my personal injury] matter. He has been very patient and focused at the job at hand even when the going got tough. He managed to get me a very satisfactory compensation for the injuries I sustained. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for the services that he provided and the eventual result.
Samsuddin bin Sidek
It was the first time I engaged a lawyer and Daniel, you are the one with trust and professionalism that I can count on. You kept me informed throughout the process and kept your promise on [responding] to every query I made. Prompt replies on email were another compliment to you. You went above and beyond and did everything you could to ensure a great outcome. I couldn't have asked for a better law firm or attorney. Thank you.
BCA Academy will like to thank you for your excellent presentation at the BCAA-IOSH International Conference in WSH seminar. We like to send a crystal award as a token of our appreciation.
Kris Lim, Training Administrative Officer, BCA Academy
Having to deal with the injuries and repair works after a rear-ended accident were difficult, the thought of having to go through a personal injury claim is daunting! But I was so wrong, the process was so smooth and hassle free with Characterist! I was guided through the process from start to finish, and most importantly, I am always being updated of the progress which certainly took away a lot of stress.I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr Daniel Goh for his attentiveness, honesty, patience and realistic approach throughout the whole process!
Dear Daniel, I would like to express my profound appreciation for representing my wife and spending a great amount of time and effort on her accident case to ensure the best possible outcome for her. Thanks once again for your expertise in resolving the case.
Whilst no one wishes to find themselves involved in a car crash, particularly in a country which isn't their home, Daniel Goh is a highly knowledgeable, trustworthy and diligent lawyer who will guide you through the whole claim process at ease. From the moment I was recommended to him, right through the many meetings to finalise the claim, Daniel has handled my case with absolute professionalism and I cannot recommend him more highly.
Thanks Daniel ... We're more pleased that this marks the close of an unpleasant journey for us. Thank you for your attentiveness, patience and effort in this matter.
Thank you for all the efforts. I really appreciate the kindness and understanding for the past years in helping me deal with the situation.
I engaged Daniel's firm for his assistance with a motor vehicle accident and apart from his being very well versed and experienced in this field, I also found him to be very thorough, prompt and responsive. I definitely feel like I am in good hands.
My experience with Characterist for my personal injury claim has been really satisfying ... Right from my first consultation, Daniel was able to capture all necessary details and gave a very comprehensive understanding ... One thing that I believe that is the most important thing about working with a law firm is being a trusted advisor, and Daniel has done that really well by showing full responsibility through actions and follow up ... He was able to close the case with a very successful settlement beyond my expectations. I am very thankful for Daniel and Jonathan for working hard on this case and facilitating a successful outcome, and I would like to recommend Characterist to anyone who needs to go through personal injury claims.
Post today's meeting, just wanted to drop you a note to say thank you for your help throughout the legal process, being able to update me promptly through email and phone conversation. The matter was settled quite swiftly in your care and I'm pleased with the outcome. Will send anyone who needs your help your way.
Able to handle difficult law firms, some creative methods/advice given when dealing with difficult cases (inclusive of fraud etc).
Albert Hong, Insurance Claims Executive
- CONSTITUTIONAL CHALLENGE AGAINST VDS AND WVM (HC/OS 156/2022) – LOCUS STANDI, REAL CONTROVERSY AND PRACTICAL SIGNIFICANCE WHEN MEASURES ARE PARTIALLY DROPPED
- WICA or stronger – Choosing between the Work Injury Compensation regime and Common Law
- Working MOM – Calibrating the broadening scope of the Work Injury Compensation Regime
- Characterist in the news: Bus captain sentenced for accident that caused pedestrian’s death (The Straits Times, 10 Oct 2018)
- Proceed with caution: Is it enough to merely obey traffic light signals?